31 July 2008
30 July 2008
Are you a fan of Plenty Frock by Tracy Reese? I am! She makes the most darling dresses. Tracy Reese has recently teamed up with Keds to make a line of cute little shoes, inspired by her other designs. I can't wait! I've been needs some new stylish, yet sensible footwear! The line will be available in March 2009 at keds.com. All styles will be under $85.
Image from fashionweekdaily.com
29 July 2008
Image from collider.com
27 July 2008
Penelope is a cute movie with serious style and a sweet message. It is entertaining enough for the kiddies, but stylish enough for those of us who have long since graduated from primary school. I really want Penelope's hair and wardrobe, which looks like its been lifted from Anthropologie and given an extra shot of whimsy. Even my husband enjoyed Penelope, his favorite part is when she gets drunk. I highly recommend this movie to anyone, personally I am going to purchase it the next time I am at Tar-jay to add to my collection of stylish feel good movies. I suspect it will be in heavy rotation. I may even dress up as Penelope this year for Halloween.
Images on flickr
26 July 2008
I was completely inspired this morning by tres lola's post, "How To Inject Glamour Into Your Day." She asked her readers to leave comments with how they add glamor to their days, and I had too many ideas to leave in a comment, so I'm writing a little post with my ideas for a few ways to be more glamorous:
- Indulge in a body cream or bath wash that smells like your favorite perfume
- Bring in a photograph of interesting makeup from your favorite magazine to Sephora and have them do your makeup to match...take your new look out on the town for drinks.
- Silk lined, elbow length leather gloves
- Take swing dancing lessons
- Own the sidewalk
- Be fabulous
- Drink Classic Cocktails
- Monogrammed high thread count sheets in pure white
- Wear hats when you dress up
- Wear seemed stockings and a silk slip
- Keep fresh cut flowers in the house
- Travel extensively and fill your wardrobe and home with things you've pick up abroad, for example hang a vintage silk kimono from a flea market in Tokyo on your living room wall. Can't travel? Cruise ebay.
- Go to the opera
- Invest in real artwork, have it properly framed
- Wear an apron to cook
- Eat vosges truffles and drink champaign
- Chanel a style icon: Holly Golightly, Amlie, Cher
24 July 2008
Peggy Olson (Elisabeth Moss) kind of got the shaft in season 1 of Mad Men. Sure, she was promoted to copy writer from secretary...but her clothes were no where near as cool as the other women on the show and she was kind of prissy and hormonal. This was primarily because she gained tons of weight...due to a pregnancy she knew nothing about until the baby popped out. I wonder what happens to the baby in the season two?!
Image Sources on Flickr
23 July 2008
22 July 2008
21 July 2008
Joan Holloway (Christina Hendricks), the office manager, is my favorite character on Mad Men. She is a little slutty, super saucy and terribly glam. I'm pretty positive when Roland Mouret designs his famous curve hugging dresses he envisions Joan's curvaceous figure. In my opinion Joan is by far the sexiest woman on TV today.
20 July 2008
19 July 2008
17 July 2008
Image from etsy.com
So, I had a wee bit of insomnia last night and so I flipped on the TV around 1:30 AM and found there was a new episode of Project Runway on my DVR...yay!! As the new designers were introduced I learned that an ETSY designer had made it on to Project Runway. Not only that, but one of my friends owns one of her pieces, which she purchased on etsy! The designer is LeAnne Marshall and her line is Leanimal which is availible on etsy and her website. Frankly, I've been kind of obsessed with her immaculately constructed jackets for months, which are feminine and a little Victorian. *le sigh* Well, I will never be able to afford one now!!
I know I'll be tuning in with renewed vigor to root for LeAnne! Good Luck! I hope you win!
Images from etsy.com
14 July 2008
Image from Shu Uemura
Labels: chic and stylish
13 July 2008
12 July 2008
- Red chair
- Wall mounted bathroom mirror with shelf under
- Red fitted sheets, orange quilt, white pillow and top sheet
- Couch: Red velvet embossed with a design and matching pillows
- Green TV
- Green horse statute
- Michael Sowa Artwork
- Blue lamp
- Red bell shaped Christmas light strands, strung along the living room wall
- Baroque patterned red wallpaper
- Iron bed frame
- Red wallpaper with gold swirls, as well as yellow and red polka dots
- Random collection of slightly garish lamps with frilly shades
- Pig sculptural base, wearing green bathrobe, holding up lamp/lamp shade
- Red beret
- Black Dr. Marten type shoes with black socks
- Little black book for recording information about current schemes
- Red shirt with subtle stripe
- Dainty slip, white cotton with lace trip, as night gown
- Red mid calf skirt with embroidered trim
- Burgundy jacket, slightly big (perhaps a sweater jacket with brown cloth covered buttons)
- Deep Red v-neck sweater
- Military inspired brown jacket, perhaps velvet with priest collar and slight flair in the back
- Red v-neck sweater with interesting texture and pattern-slight yarn color variegation
- Black, large collar satin trench coat with large lapels
- Green v-neck short sleeve button down shirt-tibbed, very thick lace neckline and sleeve trim.
- Black mid calf skirt with high waist
- Black half apron
- Red sweater with lace and one button/attachment, long dot pattern, pockets
- Black dress with small white polka dots, 2 inch straps, square neckline
- Zorro costume
- Pink shirt, black polka dots, ruffle bottom
- Ex-Army Doctor Father who worked at a spa before retiring
- Her childhood neighbor's comatose wife
- Blubber, the goldfish
- Suzanne, the cafe owner, and her boss
- Georgette, the Tabbaconist
- Gina, her coworker
- Hipolito, an out of work writer
- Joseph, Gina's ex-lover
- Philomene, photographer of garden gnomes
- Philomene's Cat
- The Glass man: Raymond
- Madeleine, the scorned wife of a rogue who ran off to South America
- Lucien, the grocer assistant, who treasures nicely formed produce
- Blind metro panhandler
- Nino, the eccentric collector and unpopular child
Amelie's Favorite Things:
- Looking back at people's faces in the dark of movie theaters
- Noticing details no one else notices in movies
- Dipping her hand in sacks of grain
- Cracking creme brulee with a teaspoon
- Skipping stones
- Surprising strangers by returning their lost goods anonymously
- When people don't watch the road when driving in old movies
- When people lie to her about the tragic results of her picture taking
- When people make fun of others who can't defend themselves
- Dominque Bretodeau's secret Santa
- Revenge on mean spirited neighbors
- Waitress at the Two Windmills
- Giving blind men verbal tours
- Match maker
- Letter forger and mail tamperer
10 July 2008
09 July 2008
08 July 2008
Image from Overstock.com
06 July 2008
03 July 2008
1. Pick up nearest book
2. Open to page 123
3. Find the 5th sentence
4. Post the next 3 sentences
5. Tag 5 people, and acknowledge who tagged you.
The Bombshell Manual of Style
The excerpt (a little more than requested, but there were not exactly sentences on page 123):
From a list of "The Twenty-Four-Hour Bombshell Soundtrack:"
Xavier Cugat, "Mambo No. 5"
Ella Fitzgerald / Louis Armstrong / Eartha Kitt, "Let's Do It"
Frank Sinatra, "Come Fly with Me"
02 July 2008
Two searchers would like to know: "Do women was their arms?"
Yes...sometimes they do. Personally, I do not.
One searcher queried "Dust your Sweetie"
FYI: after looking around online, I discovered this is the product name for edible body powder.
My response to "Hairless Male Actors" is to tell you that while Mario Lopez (Slater from Saved by the Bell) claims to be naturally hairless...word on the street is he actually waxes. By the way, the most popular page on Charming Dandy is currently my article about if men should wax their body hair.
"How did high waters become fashionable?"
In terms of male fashion, I point you towards Thom Brown.
In response to the search for "Khaki Tuxedos:"
BACK AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER...
"Male Actors' Armpit Hair" is not something of personal interest to me, so there is not really much I can say on that subject.
Finally, "Men Waxing in Champaign" leaves me totally speechless.
01 July 2008
While I was on the Haagen Daaz website grabbing this picture I ran across a few other interesting tidbits. First, they have caught on to the "snack size" craze and make some scrumptious looking coffee, almond and chocolate ice cream bars. Second, Haagen Daaz has also taken on the plight of the honey bees, which have been suffering a great deal lately.