25 October 2009
A "classy casual, layered, subdued with pops of color" costume for gonzomelisaism proved to be a tall order! Ultimately I decided to go with wicked witch of the east. The only real essentials for this costume are black and white striped socks or tights, red shoes and a witch's hat...otherwise just wear layers of black clothing of your choosing...perhaps even from your own closet! If you want to take things up a notch write out a death certificate or proclamation.
24 October 2009
My first instinct when Jill asked for a hippie, dirty-minded, vamp costume was to take the vamp literally and design a Victoria costume from Twilight, especially because Jill is a red head. After visiting her blog, Stella's Roar, I decided a different costume might be in order...so I designed a costume based a some art she had featured on her blog. Behold, a costume design based on Sylvia Ji's La Catrina.
Makeup for this look is called All Souls and was created by M·A·C Artist: Tara Renee Vasquez of Montclair, CA, USA. Follow the step-by-step and M·A·C products listed below to achieve that look.
1. Hydrate and create a luminous finish on skin with a spritz of Fix + and Strobe Cream.
2. Use a powder brush to dust White Frost Eye Shadow all over the face, concentrating the strength over the high planes.
3. Draw the outline of the skull design with Blacktrack Fluidline and Brush #228.
4. Use Brush #109 to shade Electric Eel Eye Shadow over the contours of the face within the skull design.
5. Use Brush #228 to apply Blacktrack Fluidline to outline and shade the eye sockets, and switch to Brush #210 to continue with Blacktrack to create the details over the forehead, browbone, nose, cheek, mouth, and chin.
6. Use Brushes #219 and #311 to fill in details with correlating Eye Shadows in Passionate, Chrome Yellow, Purple Haze, Juxt, and Orange.
7. Use Powerpoint in Industry and Scene Eye Shadow to shade in teeth. Outline with Black Knight Lipstick
8. Finish finessing details with Boot Black Liner.
Green Gel Cleanser
Eye Shadow - White Frost, Orange Juxt, Electric Eel, Passionate, Carbon, Chrome Yellow, Purple Haze
Liquid Last Liner - Inkspill
Liquid Eye Liner - Bootblack
Eye Shadow - White Frost, Juxt, Carbon, Electric Eel
Fluidline - Blacktrack
Powerpoint - Industry, Gilded White
Lipstick - Black Knight (Style Black Collection)
Click here for a printable version of this look to bring to a M·A·C Artist in a store near you; links to the products used are also included: http://www.maccosmetics.com/halloween12 Or visit http://bit.ly/maccosmetics to purchase these products online or find a store near you.
23 October 2009
17 October 2009
I already did plaid once: plaid flannel in the 90s. I am really not all that eager to return to this look, so ultimately I've decided that I will not be doing this trend. Just because I'm not doing it, doesn't mean that you shouldn't! I've put together a few ways to do plaid in a decidedly modern way for my readers who can't wait to don plaid this fall.
15 October 2009
14 October 2009
Halloween is rapidly approaching, one of my absolute favorite times of year. Sadly, this year, many of us have to be a bit frugal when it comes to our costume. The good news is that right now there are tons of fabulous costume options that can be built upon clothes that are already in your closet or available quite inexpensively.
Knee boots + Skinny Jeans +V-neck + Blazer (w/crest) + Leather Bag + Long Blonde Hair
you could sub a cropped leather jacket or small vest for the blazer
Hairband + Long Brown Hair + Little White Dress (+ black lace tights)
Rent a White Tux or suit
White T-shirt + Homemade Merlotte's Sticker (or buy it)+ Black Shorts + Blonde Ponytail + Little Nike Shoes (or Converse) + Little Green Apron
Skinny Jeans + Brown hooded jacket + White v-neck + Mittens + Earbuds
Black Dress + Pearl Choker (like: this, this, this or this) + Cigarette holder + Black Gloves + Tiara
White Tank Top + Little Shorty Shorts + Long Nails + Wig + Fake Tatoos + Black Bra + Fab Makeup + Ballet Shoes
12 October 2009
Image via WikipediaUgh. I have lost my blogging mojo. I thought once I graduated I would be totally back on track with the blogging, but not so much! I don't even look at my blog reader that much anymore. All of my online time seems to be devoted to obsessively search different combinations of terms on indeed.com in my quest to land a job. I'm not looking for just any job...currently my prospective job must meet the following criteria:
- A salary which compensates me for the mental anguish of graduate school
- A job that I would prefer over folding T-shirts at the GAP
- Work week of less than 50 hours (on average, I may go up to 60ish)
- Happy-ish looking potential co-workers
- An interview process that requires less studying than my graduate school qualifying exams
07 October 2009
Finally, a reality series that we can all unabashedly obsess over...Man Shops Globe on the Sundance Channel. The series follows anthropologie's antiques and furniture buyer, Keith Johnson, as he traipses across the globe in search of Miss. Havisham-esque furniture to fill new anthropologie stores and darling new artists to produce products for the chain. Oh, to have Keith's job. Oh, to have Keith's luggage.